Friday, June 13, 2008

Social Media

So, this is the day and age of social media in marketing. Social media is deemed as a user friendly, not threatening marketing tool to reach "the everyday person". I would agree with this statement. However, I think most companies misuse this marketing vehicle. People playing or chatting via Facebook or MySpace don't want to be inundated with ads or marketing ploys. They want real life applications, not a sales pitch. Trying to find the balance between marketing and relationship is a tricky one. Spending money on an ad in one of these social media vehicles is a waste of time. Instead, develop a widget or an application that engages the user and makes them want to find more information about your company.

Let's see...for AA, I should be able to play a trivia game that allows me to earn fake "miles" to plan my dream vacation. I could invite my friends to come along. We could do environmentally friendly challenges to earn money, which we would inturn spend at the AAdvantage eShopping mall and earn miles. How much fun (an non-threatening) would that be?? It would encourage a relationship atmosphere, and also educate the user about ways to earn and redeem miles.

Just a thought....

No comments: