Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Texas Our Texas
I am 'awful' proud to call myself a Texan (even though I wasn't born here). I figure that since I can sing the state song, protect the state flower like it were my own child, and relate to all of the following...that makes me true blue! Who out there can understand?? :)
Things I learned living in Texas.
1. A possum is a flat animal that sleeps in the middle of the road.
2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 of them live in Texas.
3. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 of them live in Texas, plus a couple no one's seen before.
4. If it grows, it'll stick ya. If it crawls, it'll bite cha.
5. 'Onced' and 'Twiced' are words.
6. 'Jaw-P?' means 'Did y'all go to the bathroom?'
7. 'Fixinto' is one word.
8. There is no such thing as 'lunch'. There is only dinner and then there is supper.
9. Iced tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar.
10. Backwards and forwards means 'I know everything about you.'
11. The word 'jeet' is actually a phrase meaning 'Did you eat?'
12. You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH EM.
13. 'No. Jew?' is a common response to the question 'Did you bring any beer?'
14. You measure distance in minutes.
15. You switch from heat to A/C in the same day.
16. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.
17. You carry jumper cables in your car --- for your OWN car.
18. You only own five spices: salt, pepper, TexJoy, Tabasco and Ketchup.
19. The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local high school sports and motor sports, and gossip.
20. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.
21. You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit 'a bit warm'.
22. You know all four seasons: Almost summer, summer, still summer, and Christmas.
23. Going to Wal-Mart is a favorite past time know as 'goin' Wal-Martin' or 'off to Wally World'.
24. You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good chili weather.
25. Fried catfish is the other white meat.
Posted by The Carter's at 1:17 PM