Monday, February 9, 2009

Commercials Everywhere

Confession - I am a DVR TV watcher. I cannot remember the last time I watched "live TV." I despise commercials (except during the Super Bowl). It's not so much that they are repetitive (even though they are), or asinine (which many are), or irrelevant (K-Mart...in DFW? I think not). What really gets me about commercials is that I feel I must get up and do something productive while they are on (wash dishes, do a load of laundry, etc). They are guilt inducing, so I choose to record the shows I want to watch, so that I can sit down and enjoy them from beginning to end without interruption.

The same theory applies when I sit down to read a book or an article. I want to read what I have chosen to read, without a commercial popping up on the page. Well, that is exactly what happened to me this morning while reading an article on Yahoo! Finance. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/15-Companies-That-Might-Not-usnews-14279875.html

There are 4 completely irrelevant commercials shoved in throughout this article. Given - they are about financial/business -esq things. But seriously! Is there so much information floating around in the world and in cyberspace that we must be constantly inundated with link after link after link, creating a cycle of clicks that leads us from 2009 Bankruptcy forecasts to reducing cellulite?

Be glad that you were able to read this blog post without a commercial interruption...it may not always be that way! :)

No comments: